I Married The Jesus Camp Kid.

August 20, 2016. Exactly one year ago today I married my best friend, Levi. 

Some of you may know, others may not, but when Levi was 12 years old he was featured in a documentary titled Jesus Camp. Before we officially started dating back in June of 2015, I watched this documentary. For me, it was mostly just to see what Levi looked like back then, what he acted like, and to see how much he had changed over the years. It was comical to me seeing 12 year old Levi wearing over-sized t-shirts and sporting a rat-tail. 

If you have seen this documentary or heard reviews about it, you've probably heard more negative than positive. I've heard it described as being a cult, brainwashing innocent children, and being child abuse. I've seen countless reviews, articles, and posts about it online talking about "these poor children." I've also come across memes made from clips from the documentary that are interesting, to say the least. Most people make remarks about hoping these kids have found their way out of the cult-ish lifestyle and have come out from underneath their parents rule and reign over them. 

To be honest, I wasn't sure how I felt about the documentary when I saw it, but having the spiritual background in my life that I do, I knew that this was nothing close to being a cult or brainwashing. Watching it opened up a discussion with Levi and I. I found out that the film makers were not Christians. There were 365 hours worth of footage that had to be edited down to 85 minutes. The music that was featured in the first cut of the film was so creepy that Levi's parents, along with others, put their foot down and would not approve the documentary to be released unless it was changed. In my opinion, the film was more about politics than it was about seeing who the people featured in it actually were. 

As I've gotten to know Levi and his family over the last 2.5 years, it has become very obvious that they are not brainwashed, have never been involved in a cult, and his parents are not nor have they ever been child abusers. They are fun, they are quirky, they love people, and they are regular human beings who happen to love Jesus. I have never met a person who has had anything bad to say about the O'Brien's. The only negative things I've ever heard or seen have come from people on the internet who have never had the pleasure of meeting them in person. 

You may say I'm biased, and you might be right about that, but the passionate Levi that is shown in the film, is the same passionate Levi you see today. He is silly,  he is smart, he is genuine, he is authentic, he is well-rounded, and so much more. As his wife, it has been difficult to see some of the things that people say about Levi online. He was interviewed for an online magazine a while back and when the article came out it wasn't a very positive one and it was difficult for me to read. However, I have watched Levi take things like this in stride. He brushes off what people think or say of him because he is confident in who he is. He receives Facebook messages all the time from people who are hateful or people who try to question his beliefs and attempt to make him look like a fool when he responds. But he has a way of deciphering which messages are worth responding to and which messages belong in the trash. I don't know how he has such restraint but I admire him greatly for that. 

Today, we celebrate our one-year anniversary. We have spent the last year learning how to build a life together, pursuing God together, and having fun together. Because of Levi, my life is rich with joy, laughter, and adventure. We have been through so much in the past year, from adopting a puppy, to job changes, to really learning how to trust God in every season we go through. There have been great times, there have been difficult times, and in-between times, but one thing is certain, I wouldn't want to do this life with anyone else and I am proud to say that I married the Jesus Camp kid. 

Comments

  1. The O'briens are a wonderful family!! And they are blessed to have your love and support. People only see what was on film. They totally missed what the families and children were like in real life.. Drama sells.. Half truths still sell.. I watched it years ago in disbelief on how they were portrayed. And am so blessed I knew the real side of the picture. But you gotta admit Levi was such a cutie back then...What happen!�😃 Haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I met the O'Brien's when Levi was almost 2 (Levi captured my heart instantly). They are truly an amazing beautiful family who I admire! I will always be greatful that God had our path's cross!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Aspen Jade O'Brien

Your Identity Has Been Stolen...And You Don't Even Know It.